- By kendratheadverb
- 18 December, 2012
- Comments Off
I borrowed this survey from All & Sundry. It’s not relevant on all accounts but it’s pretty comprehensive.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Went to Lake Lure in NC, Destin in FL.
Learned to drive a motorino.
Crashed a motorino.
Dogsat for a summer.
Lost a dog to tragic ends.
Dealt with dramz of unprecedented heights.
Wrote four sabbath school lessons.
Submitted a manuscript to a literary agent.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My big goal was to lose 15 lbs. I have lost 10. I am on my weigh. Ha. Punny.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, special welcome to my stepnephew Lucas!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
We lost Toby. We still talk about him every few days. It was the realest loss for my children and we continue to mourn him.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
One less condo in Boston.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Not to belabor the loss of Toby, but I truly understood in the moment of holding his lifeless body a small shred of what God feels for us when we turn from Him.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Growing stronger in my marriage, definitely, positively and absolutely.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting frustration trump trust in friendship and colleagueship.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Praises be, no!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Schmancy new camera with my pro growth funds.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Boring but necessary grown-up things like mortgages and Montessori tuition.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Watching my sister TP finish a marathon!
Conversating with lit agents about my manuscript.
Having a couple of pieces published in McSweeney’s.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I got to see Committed in concert at Bible College this year. It was highly memorable and very moving. Will particularly remember their song “Soon Ah Will Be Done.”
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Hmmm, probably about the same.
– thinner or fatter? Wee bit leaner
– richer or poorer? Financially about the same (see also: ouch)
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spend more time playing with my kiddies. More dates with my hubby.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complaining about what I can’t control, per usual.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Will be spending it with the Midwestern fambam.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Parenthood. Those writers stole my life for its script, I’m convinced.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I’ll go with Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
The songs Baby Girl writes impromptu, particularly about unicorns.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I really enjoyed “Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.” Keira Knightley has moments of absolute brilliance.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I cannot remember. Why can’t I remember?
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
In spite of a hefty portion of bad news we received this year, I was still pretty satisfied in my roles as a wife, mother, and teacher. I always want to see more of my family and I miss my friends in Boston something fierce, but the things that really matter were pretty secure this year. I’m grateful.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I will not buy myself bigger pants. I will just do more yoga.
26. What kept you sane?
Bikram yoga. Singing praise songs in the shower.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Love and forgiveness are still the strongest and most surprising forces in the world.
I married someone who is incredible at his profession.
It is possible to not eat a lot of sugar and carbs for a month.
I lack organization, but there are simple things I can do to change this.
God gives us so much more than we need and we need only ask and He will show up to bless us big.