Oh, hey, December 2013. Have you met months January – November of this year?
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Went to Savannah, GA (three times–yowsa!).
Attended the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference.
Led a group of students to ATL – CNN Headquarters and World of Coca-Cola.
Started my third consecutive school year teaching.
Signed with a literary agent.
Began styling with Keaton Row.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Let us just take a moment to be thankful I am speeding ticket free for yet another year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, welcome North West! Ha. Also, Luke, Scarlett, Lois, Vivienne, James, just to name a few new blessings in our circle.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
RIP Auntie Mare.
5. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A book deal.
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I really enjoyed my children this summer. I know that sounds like a non-accomplishment, but the transition from teaching to being a stay-at-home mama to two adorable punks in the death heat of Tennessee summer is something I find difficult. I planned a really great summer for us and we bonded in a significant way.
7. What was your biggest failure?
I didn’t stick to our financial budget as much as I wanted to and needed to, but I am back on track with that.
8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Praises be, no!
9. What was the best thing you bought?
I got Loverpants a Sunday delivery of the NYT for the year. Such a great citizenvestment.
10. What did you get really excited about?
My sister TP got engaged!
11. What was the best book you read this year?
Toss up between:
Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis
12. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? I change from happy to sad 2394028343 times/day.
– thinner or fatter? About the same
– richer or poorer? So much better (see also: condo albatross gone)
13. What was your favorite TV program?
Parenthood. Orange is the New Black (when is Season #2 btw?). Downton.
15. What were your favorite films of the year?
Gatsby and, honestly, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 was not the worst sequel ever.
16. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my 33rd birthday, I think I got a massage?
17. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
My children are actively learning how to do this thing called Being Human from watching me. And that is a humbling, sobering thing.